Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A glimpse into a creative past


Over the Easter long weekend I visited the historic homestead Buda, nestled within the gold-rush streetscapes of Castlemaine.


 Buda was the home of the famed silversmith Ernest Leviny and his creative family. His five unmarried daughters who resided at Buda for most of their lives explored a variety of creative pursuits. Their embroidery, woodwork, paintings, metalwork and photography are displayed throughout the house.


A water colour textile design by Hilda Leviny



One of the many rag rugs designed by the Leviny's displayed throughout the house


The original linoleum flooring


 A beautiful painting from one of the daughter's bedrooms


An art deco hatbox



A hand painted frieze in a bedroom




The gardens at Buda are as impressive as the interiors of the home.


Autumnal colours






Buda's grand front entrance 



Buda is located at 42 Hunter Street in Castlemaine, just a short (but hilly!) stroll from the centre of town.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted about the historic Buda house, I go up to Castlemaine on a fairly regular basis (we were there over Easter too!) but have never visited the house or gardens. It looks lovely, so I might have to pay it a visit next time we're in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has taken me a while to get there Lucy! I drive up to Bendigo pretty regularly so I'm not sure why I haven't popped in before - such wonderful textiles and decorative design. Will definitely try to return on a more regular basis.

    ReplyDelete